This recipe for Roasted Shredded Brussels Sprout Salad is so simple! It is served warm and is just combined with salt, pepper, oil, and apple cider vinegar and takes only 15 minutes! But, it’s healthy, vegetarian, and comforting.
You can indulge a little by adding to your Roasted Brussels Sprouts Salad a shower of freshly grated parmesan, or crumble in some crispy bacon, toss in some slivered almonds, whatever to this sturdy foundation of shredded roasted greens. That might add a few more minutes to the time to create that salad, but this salad is also great without the additions. I’m currently reading Chrissy Tiegen’s cookbook Cravings and although her shredded brussels sprouts salad is raw and uses lemon juice instead of apple cider vinegar, I liked her idea of adding in 1 1/2 cups halved grapes and 1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds.
Roasting the shredded brussels sprouts is an extra step since you could just dress and eat them raw as is. But I like how roasting pays off as it gives the salad a little bit of crispiness that brings it up to a new level from a raw salad, without that much more effort. Having a warm salad is also comforting on spring days that drift more into chilly and rainy.
- 1 pound of Brussels Sprouts
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground Pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a baking pan with spray or olive oil – you might choose to put some parchment paper or foil down first for easier cleanup.
- Next, after cleaning and tossing any browned leaves on the outside of your sprouts, I cut them in half and then shred them in the food processor for about 15 seconds or so in two batches. All together that took maybe 5 minutes.
- Now mix the shredded brussels sprouts with the 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the salt and pepper to taste together in a large mixing bowl. Spread the sprouts on your lined baking pan and roast just until the edges start to get crisped and brown. This might be about 7 – 10 minutes.
- While still hot, toss the 1 tablespoon of Apple Cider vinegar into the roasted and shredded sprouts. Serve right away. Done, warm healthy salad for four people in 15 minutes!
I served this as a side dish along with a Leek and Cheese Ranch Chicken Breast and Garlic Mashed Potatoes – I even ended up mixing the sauce from the chicken with the potatoes and the brussels sprouts and it was all good, a traditional home cooked meal with your plate of greens, carbs, and protein.
How would you like to eat your brussels sprouts – would you add additional toppings here, what would they be?