So, I’ve finally had them all! Collection complete! As a recap, there have been six sandwiches created which are all collaborations between Rick Gencarelli of Lardo and a guest chef, aka, a chefwich. Each chefwich has been rotating into the Lardo menus (either of the two Lardo locations, Lardo West in SW downtown or in Lardo East in the SE) over the past 6 months. For all the chefwiches a portion of the proceeds benefited a charity of the guest chef’s choice, and each chefwich was a limited time sandwich offer, only available for a month. Previously, I had…
- The Cathy Whims (of Nostrana and Oven & Shaker) and her Straccetti sandwich featuring bavette steak, provolone cheese, roasted asparagus, and horseradish creme fraiche. Beautiful, messy, delicious richness. Her chosen charity was Friends of Family Farmers which promotes responsible farming (covered here in this previous blog post)
- The Scott Snyder (of Levant), with Morroccan Lamb Meatball and black olive mayo, harrisa carrot slaw, feta. This chefwich benefits Urban Gleaners, whose mission is to eliminate waste of surplus food by redistributing to the hungry (covered here in this previous blog post)
- The Aaron Barnett (of St. Jack)- #3 in Chefwich Series, a sandwich of Fried Calamari – caper & red onion mayo, marinated tomatoes, lettuce. Mmm, that crispy crispy calamari which was perfectly executed to be crunchy but not overdone or greasy would have been excellent even on its own, but bonus! You get a whole squidwich! Proceeds go to the Special Olympics and their support their mission to provide sports training and athletic competition in a variety of Olympic-type sports for children and adults with intellectual disabilities (covered here in this previous blog post)
- The Anthony Cafiero (of Ración) a Serrano Ham bocadillo, with pepper & onion saor, manchego cheese, smoked paprika aioli. A portion of the proceeds from this Chefwich benefit Portland Food Bank. (covered here in this previous blog post)
- Jenn Louis (of Lincoln Restaurant and Sunshine Tavern), a grilled cheese with fontina cheese, plum conserva on Grand Central Bakery sour rye. A portion of the proceeds from this Chefwich benefit the Oregon Food Bank. (covered here in this previous blog post)
Finally, the last sandwich comes from Greg Denton of Ox, with an offering of a sandwich called “Blame Canada” because apparently he didn’t want the sandwich to just be called “The Greg Denton”. It has roasted turkey, French fries, cheese curds, and foie gras gravy.
Although this is the sixth and supposedly last chefwich (based on the stamp card having 6) , I also hope that Lardo will continue to offer a chefwich in the future where they do continue to collaborate with chefs.
Have you had any or all the chefwiches? Which do you think you would call your favorite?