While I can’t say I’m at all ok with the current state of our country, one thing I do have to admit is that people have really come together to rise up and do something about it instead of just complaining. There have been peaceful rallies, there have been sharing news and keeping updated on who and how to go about contacting the applicable representatives to have our voices heard, and there has been eating and drinking for a cause as the industry and the community got together in raising money for Planned Parenthood and other organizations. I’m just sharing recently three ways I was eating for Planned Parenthood and hoping you will follow along on the news or my Instagram as I think there may be repeats of these type of events in the future that I will share.
Cookie Grab 2017
In an amazing show of support. Cookie Grab 2017 aka Pussies Bake Back was announced on January 6 and within 24 hours this cookie box sale with cookies from 21 local female chefs sold out!! Each cookie box offered for $50, with 100% of proceeds donated to Planned Parenthood Columbia Willamette, twenty one signature cookies from twenty one local female chefs.
We raised $27,500 thanks to the wonderful generosity of
- Ayers Creek Farms: Zea Mays Sables
- Baker and Spice: Salty Dark Chocolate Crackle
- Bakeshop: Sweet and Salty Cookie
- Beast: Chocolate Matcha Coconut Macaron
- Coquine: Smoked Almond-Salted-Caramel Chocolate Chip
- Cyril’s at Clay Pigeon Winery: Vegan Carrot Oatmeal Cookie
- Dame: White Wine Olive Oil Cookie
- Little Red’s Bakeshop: Galaxy Sugar Cookie
- Lovely’s Fifty-Fifty: Barley Raisin Cookie
- Mae: Brown Butter Benne Wafer
- Maurice: Double Chocolate Korova
- Milk Glass Market: Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk
- Miss Zumstein: Hazelnut Raspberry Thumbprint
- Nostrana: Peace, No War and Lime Galette
- P’s & Q’s Market: Ginger Molasses Crinkle
- Seastar Bakery: Crunchy Coconut Cookie with Millet and Raisins
- SweeDeeDee: Hazelnut Sandie Ginger Molasses
- Tastebud: Green Cardamom Snickerdoodles
- Tournant: Puffed Rice Matcha Shortbread
- Two Tarts: Passion Fruit Creams
- Woodlawn Coffee and Pastry: Coconut Oatmeal Cookie
Photo shamefully after only an hour or so after having the box… one bite outta everything!
Not My President’s Day Bloc(k) Party
This past Monday, for President’s Day, a $40 donation (100% goes to Planned Parenthood) netted me a passport to 9 taste bites in an indoor block party on the first floor of the Water Avenue Commerce Center in the spaces of Boke Bowl, Bunk Bar, and Water Avenue.
The bites were contributed from 9 chefs, and additionally there were beverages for purchase to make more money for Planned Parenthood that included cocktails created by Angel Teta (Ataula) and Jesse Card (Bit House Saloon). Special thanks to sponsors Altos Tequila, Union Gin, Hazelfern Cellars, Burnside Brewing, New Deal Distillery, and Clear Creek Distillery! Drink tickets were $5 per ticket or 5 for $20. Beverages included
- Pillow Talkin’ with a Bish cocktail with Altos blanco tequila, Peach, Lime, and Salt
- Dirrrty South Side cocktail with Union gin, mint lime cordial, lime, and Limonota San Pellegrino
- Or order a Burnside IPA or Burnside Belgian Table Beer, and additionally can add a shot of New Deal Rye Whiskey
- Oh-Face Killa cocktail with Altos reposado, New Deal ginger liqueur, cassis, and San Pellegrino (pairing suggestion: just drink it)
- No News is Good News cocktail with New Deal Rye Whiskey and Sweetness (pairing suggestion: those Lauretta Jean’s pies though)
- Hazelfern Cellars 2015 Winter Rose (they saved the very last case just for the event!)
- The Morning After with orange, peach, pineapple, Clementine SanPellegrino (pairing suggestion, cuddles)
- Drinking for Two with Earl Grey, Meyer Lemon, Prickly Pear SanPellegrino (pairing suggestion, risotto, though, yo)
- Sober AF with Aranciata Rossa SanPellegrino with grapefruit cordial and some lovin (pairing suggestion Tusk’s drief beef is the ish)
- Feb Fake-out with Hibiscus-grapefruit cordial, Melegrano e Arancia SanPellegrino (pairing suggestion Lovely’s Rocky Road Ahead)’
Here’s a look at the bites and drinks I was able to sample.
- Earl Ninsom (Langbaan, Hat Yai) brought Lamb Jerky with spicy smoked trout relish and sticky rice
- Patrick Fleming (Boke Bowl) with the always a crowd pleaser Fried chicken steamed bun
- Kate McMillen of Lauretta Jeans offered a choice of three handpies, Chocolate, Raspberry, and Blueberry. I had the chocolate one.
- Maya Lovelace (Mae) brought Popcorn Chicken and Hush Puppies with herby ranch, coriander honey and hot sauce
- Tommy Habetz (Pizza Jerk) wiggled his booty while plating the Pizza Jerk contribution of Lamb Bolognose Grandma Pie
- Sam Smith (Tusk) created Basturma with air dried beef, fenugreek, paprika, chevre and dukkah
- Water Avenue Chef de Cuisine Ryan Kennedy offered this rich and super tasty risotto with winter carrot and Parmesan foam
- Greg & Gabi Denton (Ox, SuperBite) crafted a habanero “head” cheese, really terrific speck ham, and hugely maple cotton candy.
- Rocky Road Ahead ice cream on a cone from Sarah Minnick (Lovely’s Fifty Fifty) was the perfect end
Passport complete! With the food passport alone this block party raised $10,000 for Planned Parenthood, plus additional for beverage sales.
Fusspot Cincinnati Chili Fundraiser
Fusspot Chicken, usually known for their once a month offering of fried chicken, went back to their roots and memories of mom making her own chili. They offered the Cincinnati Chili all ways – Two Way just with the meat slurry over spaghetti, Three Way which adds cheese, Four Way which adds raw chopped onion, Four Way Bean where you swap it to be a spaghetti cheese bean mix instead of spaghetti cheese onion mix, and the Five Way with spaghetti, cheese, onion, and beans. In this case, beans are a topping, not in the chili itself – and exactly how I love it as I prefer beanless chili.
You could also order your chili topped on a hot dog instead, either Coney with just the chili and optionally brown or yellow mustard and onions, or the Cheesy Coney that includes a healthy helping of cheese.
All the proceeds of the Cincinnati Chili Fundraiser by Fusspot went to Planned Parenthood, including any beverage sale- thank you for sharing memories of your mom and her chili and sharing your chili while also helping to support women’s health and rights.
THANK YOU to all the participants of all these fundraisers for helping raise visibility and helping create an event that not only helps raise money, but also is a space for all of us who care about the cause to be able to show our support together and be a community and feel there is some hope and a way forward no matter what.